Friday, January 1, 2016

White Boy Party Funk Rock - Red Hot Chili Peppers

I had to convince a teenager the other day that the Red Hot Chili Peppers were once a rock band, that's how far they've strayed since their questionable peak in 1991 with Blood Sugar Sex Magik.  I'll admit to owning that cassette, along with 1989's Mother's Milk, but I had to fill out my Columbia House orders with something, and the late 80s were a rough time.  So bad that people actually welcomed grunge.

I always just assumed Mother's Milk was their first album, when in fact it's only their first listenable album.  The first two sound like coked up white boys from West Hollywood doing Bootsy Collins B-sides, while the third turned up the guitars and stupid yelling.

By Mother's Milk they managed to carry a tune, do covers of superior artists, and best of all, turn up Flea in the friggin mix.

No comments:

Post a Comment