Tuesday, March 21, 2017

Beasts by Stephen R. George

Beasts
by Stephen R. George
1989, Zebra Books




A couple contract a mutant form of rabies which gives them super-powers and a thirst for blood.  The man controls his urges with medication, while the woman takes off on a killing spree across the country.

Michael Smith returns to his home town for a vacation and falls in love with a single mother bookstore clerk.  His ex comes to haunt them, leaving a trail of bodies as she goes.

The body count and level of gore were probably sufficient, but the blandness of everything else just brought the whole level down.  This is like a muzak cover of a horror novel, only without the charm.

Even the characters seem sleepy and unmotivated.  People are having their throats ripped out as soon as I come into town - could it be my bloodthirsty, serial killing ex?  Eh, maybe, I'll futz around for a hundred pages or so before I make the connection.  Hey, your serial killer ex gave my kid a vial of blood, but yeah, we'll just stay here alone at home, I'm sure things will be fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment